Skip to content


Back to FAQs Page

Q. How much money do I need to participate in CSU International Programs? 
A. Estimated costs vary from country to country, program to program. Budget sheets are available for each program. The amounts shown on these budget sheets are based on the experience of current year students. These program-specific budget estimates are useful for planning purposes, but are subject to change due to currency fluctuation, inflation, and costs out of IP’s control. Furthermore, these estimates should be considered minimum amounts.
Back to top

Q.  Can I use financial aid to pay for my $500 deposit?
A. No. You cannot use financial aid to pay for your $500 deposit. You may defer the payment of the balance of your prepaid cost, after paying the $500 deposit, using financial aid or the installment plan.
Back to top

Q. What are acceptable forms of payment?
A. You can pay with an electronic check or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express). You can also use financial aid and/or the installment plan to pay for the rest of your prepaid cost, after paying the $500 deposit.
Back to top

Q. When is my balance due?
A.The balance of the cost due to CSU IP, after payment of the $500 deposit, is due on May 1 for Fall Semester/Academic Year programs and November 1 for Spring Semester/Calendar Year programs.
Back to top

Q. Where can I make a payment? 
A. We encourage you to pay online through our website
Back to top

Is there a charge when using a credit card?
A. Yes. There is a fee of 2.65% when paying with a credit card. The fee is charged not by CSU International Programs, but by the credit card processing company.
Back to top

Does CSU IP have an installment payment plan?
A. Yes. You can make 3 equal monthly installments (Fall or Spring Semester programs) or 6 equal monthly installments (Academic or Calendar year programs) for any or all of the cost due to CSU IP your balance after payment of the $500 deposit.
Back to top

Can financial aid be used to pay for program fees?
A. After paying your $500 deposit online or by mail, you can defer the remainder of your prepaid costs until your financial aid is disbursed. If you choose this method of payment, the amount due will be deducted equally from your financial aid by each term (quarter/semester) of your home campus.

Except for Federal Work-Study, IP participants continue to be eligible for all student aid programs such as Cal Grant A or B, Pell Grant, SEOG, SUG, Perkins Loan, EOP Grants, Stafford Loans, and scholarships. CSU IP expects that if you require financial aid you have already filed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and that you are complying with your campus financial aid office’s requests and deadlines.
Back to top
Q. When can I expect to receive my Financial Aid?
A. It will take time for you to receive each semester/quarter check. You are advised to have enough money to cover at least the first two months of your expenses abroad. It may take that long for your financial aid to reach you. Make sure you know where your financial aid is being sent. You need to have a back-up plan in case your financial aid is delayed.

Some campuses disburse the student financial aid funds based on the term start date overseas and not the home campus semester/quarter start date. Please contact your home campus Financial Aid Office to confirm when you expect to receive your aid.
Back to top

Q. Whom do I contact if I have questions about my financial aid award?
A. Contact the financial aid award office at your home campus if you have questions about your award, issues about missing documents or the status of your award.

If you will rely on financial aid during the year of study abroad, you must confirm with the financial aid office at your home campus that you will be eligible for aid during the period of planned enrollment.

If you are a financial aid recipient you must also confirm with your campus financial aid office that you are currently making satisfactory academic progress and that you will not exceed the maximum time frame for receiving financial aid during the period that you are abroad. 
Back to top

Q. Are scholarships available?
A. A number of scholarships are available for students who want to study abroad through International Programs. For scholarships offered through International Programs, the application is available through your Program Application Page under Application Questionnaires. For other scholarships, national or international, a list with corresponding links is also available in the scholarships section of our website.
Back to top

Q. Does CSU IP accept fee waivers?
A. Yes. You can use a CSU dependent waiver, veteran’s fee waiver, Alan Pattee fee waiver to waive some or all of your tuition fees. You just need to submit a certification of your waiver. If you have questions about waivers, please contact the CSU IP Fiscal Affairs department at
Back to top

Q. Why do I need to complete a W9S form?
A. Students enrolled in IP may be eligible for the Lifetime Learning credit, which provides for a credit of qualified tuition per tax year. This form is needed in order to process form 1098T at the end of the year and report tuition fees paid to the International Programs.
Back to top

Q. Can I receive a refund of my fees if I withdraw from the program?
A. It depends on when you withdraw from the program. A written notice of withdrawal must be sent to and received by CSU IP by June 15 for Fall Semester/Academic Year programs (November 15 for Spring Semester/Calendar Year programs) in order to receive a full refund of funds paid, less any funds already committed or expended on your behalf.
  • If you withdraw after June 15 for Fall Semester/Academic Year programs (November 15 for Calendar Year programs) but before the beginning of instruction, you will receive a refund of all monies paid to CSU IP, less $500 or an amount equal to funds committed or expended on your behalf, whichever is greater.
  • If you withdraw or are disenrolled after the beginning of instruction, you will receive a refund of funds not already committed or expended on your behalf.
  • Tuition Fee refunds will be based on the amount paid to CSU IP and the effective withdrawal date.
  • No refunds will be made for the IP Study Abroad fee after departure.
  • No refunds will be made for health insurance cancellation after departure.
  • No refunds will be made for nonparticipation in group activities.
  • Determinations concerning eligibility for refunds and the amount and date of refunds shall be made at the discretion of the Trustees. Please refer to the IP Refund Policy and Guidelines for more detailed information.
Back to top
Q. I just returned from my study abroad with CSU IP and received an email from my campus financial aid office that I am not eligible for this coming year's financial aid because I did not meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirement. What should I do? 
A. You should read the notice very carefully. Each campus handles this matter differently. The notice should give you instructions on what to do. Contact your home campus Financial Aid Office and ask to be put in contact with the person responsible for CSU International Programs participants.
Back to top