California State University, San Marcos
At California State University San Marcos (CSU San Marcos), located on 304 rolling acres in northern San Diego County, students benefit from a technology-rich environment, high quality instruction in a wide variety of academic fields and from the diverse cultural setting of Southern California. For international students, the San Diego region stands out as a desirable location combining ideal climate and academic rigor.
The CSU San Marcos curriculum continues to develop an array of programs in the liberal arts and sciences while providing opportunities for student to develop into knowledgeable and skilled individuals living in and contributing to a global society. With an emphasis on teaching a curriculum with a global perspective and a commitment to community engagement, CSU San Marcos considers the student an active participant who works closely with faculty in the learning process.
Among the safest four-year campuses in California, CSUSM prides itself on being fully engaged in the local area and in international communities. From its award-winning volunteer program (over 160,000 volunteer hours per year) to its institutes of excellence, CSUSM provides many extracurricular opportunities for visiting students. As the main economic driver for North County San Diego, students will find a large number of businesses engaged in international commerce including: Biotechnology, Green Energy Production, tourism, sporting goods (golf) production and other forms of manufacturing.
CSU San Marcos offers many opportunities to enrich the lives of their students both on and around the campus. Below is a sample of what this campus offers:
- Clubs and Organizations
- Community Involvement
- Outdoor Adventures
- Sports and Recreation
Information for Exchange Students
- Location description: Located in Southern California in or near a small/medium city (population 75,000-300,000)
- Campus enrollment: Over 14,000 students
- Minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) to apply: 2.00 (based on 4.0 scale) or equivalent.
- Campus health insurance charged to student: Estimated cost is $788 per semester. Cost is subject to change.
- Other campus-based fees charged to student: Fees for some courses, depending on the course, may be charged (e.g. lab fees, art and media classes). Estimated cost is $25.00 per course, where applicable. Fee amounts and fees charged are subject to change.
- Minimum English proficiency score requirements: Click here to view.
- Academic calendar dates: Click here to view the most recent calendar under "CSU Quick Links" or visit the campus website.
Impacted (Closed) and Restricted (Limited) Subject AreasImpacted (Closed) Subject Areas which are not available to exchange students: Business (ACCT, FIN,); Education (all areas); Kinesiology (KINE); Nursing (NURS).
Restricted (Limited) Subject Areas where limited places are available and are highly competitive: Biology (BIOL); Biotechnology (BIOT); Business (BUS, GBM, GSCM, MGMT, OM,); Economics (ECON).
Impacted and restricted subject areas are subject to change at any time.