California State University, Los Angeles
California State University, Los Angeles (CSULA) is located in the city of Los Angeles, on a 175-acre urban campus at the heart of the civic and cultural activities of California's largest city. Los Angeles has the distinction of being the entertainment capital of the world, at the center of the film, TV, and record industries and central to Pacific Rim economic and cultural activity. Two major freeways, several bus systems and a commuter rail station located on campus grant students easy access to nearby mountains, beaches, museums, cultural centers and major sports centers.
Students study with award-winning faculty through 115 degree programs and 60 majors in six colleges. CSULA’s Business and Engineering programs remain among the nation’s top undergraduate programs. CSULA’s culturally diverse community exemplifies the city’s rich history and promotes multiculturalism and diversity.
CSULA operates on a semester system (effective Fall 2016). One semester is equivalent to .50 of an academic year. Two semesters are equal to one academic year. To view academic calendar dates, refer to the campus website or the CSU Campus Calendar found on the CSU Overview webpage located here.
Information for Exchange Students
- Location description: Located in Southern California, the campus is situated in the northeast corner of the city of Los Angeles which has a population of approximately 3.9 million.
- Campus enrollment: Over 23,000 students
- Students who can apply: Degree-seeking students nominated by exchange partners. Students must be undergraduate students or graduate students who are willing to accept an undergraduate placement. Graduate student placements are not available at this campus.
- Length of exchange: Students may study for one or two semesters.
- Minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) to apply: 2.00 (based on 4.0 scale) or equivalent.
- Campus health insurance charged to student: Yes. Estimate cost is $600 per semester. Cost is subject to change.
- Other campus-based fees charged to student: Yes, approximately $450 per semester is charged. Fees for some courses depending on the course.may be charged (e.g. lab fees). Fee amounts and fees charged are subject to change.
Minimum English Proficiency Score Requirements
- ETS TOEFL (Internet-based scores): 61
- IELTS: 5.5
To determine if a test score is required, refer to the document, “English Language Proficiency Requirements.”
Impacted/Closed and Restricted Subject Areas
- Impacted/Closed Subject Areas (which are not available to exchange students): Business Administration (ACCT, MGMT, MKT), Education (all areas); Nursing (NURS).
- Restricted/Limited Subject Areas (limited places are available and are highly competitive): Biology (BIOL); Criminal Justice (CRIM); .Psychology (PSY); Social Work (SW).
Impacted and restricted subject areas are subject to change at any time.