California State University, Chico
Founded in 1887, California State University, Chico (CSU Chico) is a comprehensive university located 90 miles north of Sacramento and 174 miles northeast of San Francisco. The campus occupies 119 acres in downtown Chico and features a 1,050–acre research farm and a 2,330-acre ecological reserve, creating a truly exceptional university experience. The faculty to student ratio is 25 to 1 with an average class size of 31. Through excellence in instruction, research, creative activity and public service, CSU Chico prepares students with the knowledge, attitudes, skills and abilities to succeed in a global society.
CSU Chico is one of the highest ranked public universities in the West, and remains a national leader in the integration of community service and sustainability in its academic programs. Many of the over 100 undergraduate and graduate degree programs, including business administration, management information systems, psychology, computer science, engineering, mechatronics, education and public administration, are known for their innovation and exceptional quality. The CSU Chico Computer Science program was one of the first in the CSU to be accredited. Students have won national awards in business, engineering, construction management, mechatronics, journalism, political science and speech.
CSU Chico offers many opportunities to enrich the lives of their students both on and around the campus. Below is a sample of what this campus offers:
- Clubs and Organizations
- Community Involvement
- International Friendship Program
- Outdoor Adventures
- Sports and Recreation (with Aquatic Center)
Getting around: The campus is close to the downtown area with shops and restaurants within a walkable distance.. Students receive free access to all city and county buses. This campus also offers car-sharing services. For more information about transportation click here.
Information for Exchange Students
- Location description: Located in Northern California in or near small/medium city (population 75,000-300,000)
- Campus enrollment: Over 16,000 students
- Minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) to apply: 2.50 (based on 4.0 scale) or equivalent.
Campus health insurance charged to student: Yes. Estimate cost is $325 per semester (depending on student's age). Cost is subject to change. Campus may accept insurance from host country with documentation if it meets required coverage.
- Other campus-based fees charged to student: Fees for some courses, depending on the course, may be charged (e.g. lab fees). Fee amounts and fees charged are subject to change.
- Minimum English proficiency score requirements: Click here to view.
- Academic calendar dates: Click here to view the most recent calendar under "CSU Quick Links" or visit the campus website.
Impacted (Closed) and Restricted (Limited) Subject AreasImpacted (Closed) Subject Areas which are not available to exchange students: Music-Recording Arts (MUSC); Nursing (NURS).
Restricted (Limited) Subject Areas where limited places are available and are highly competitive: Interior Design (IDES).
Impacted and restricted subject areas are subject to change at any time.