California State University, Bakersfield
Campus ProfileCalifornia State University, Bakersfield (CSUB) is a diverse campus, with students, faculty, administration and staff representing a wide cross section of the multicultural experience. CSU Bakersfield is committed to diversity, service to its students and global awareness.
Located on a 375-acre site in metropolitan Bakersfield, CSUB offers over 31 undergraduate degree programs, and graduate programs ranging from global intelligence and national security to biology, biochemistry, music and theater.
The School of Natural Sciences, Mathematics and Engineering is proud to be a vibrant and growing school recognized as the 2012 Example of Excellence in Education. Its Computer and Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Department is home to world-class Robotics, and a fascinating variety of high-tech robots. Students’ labs are equipped with the latest image-processing and Artificial Intelligence technology.
CSUB operates on a semester system (effective Fall 2016). One semester is equivalent to .50 of an academic year. Two semesters are equal to one academic year. To view academic calendar dates, refer to the campus website or the CSU Campus Calendar found on the CSU Overview webpage located here.
Information for Exchange Students
- Location description: Located in Southern California in or near large town (population 25,000-75,000)
- Campus enrollment: Over 7,500 students
- Students who can apply: Degree-seeking students nominated by exchange partners. Students must be undergraduate students or graduate students who are willing to accept an undergraduate placement. Graduate student placements may be possible in some disciplines (excluding business) and are based on reciprocity only.
- Length of exchange: Students may study for one or two semesters.
- Minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) to apply:: 2.75 (based on 4.0 scale) or equivalent.
- Campus health insurance charged to student: Yes. Estimated cost is $580 per semester. Cost is subject to change.
- Other campus-based fees charged to student: Fees for some courses depending on the course may be charged (e.g. lab fees). Fee amounts and fees charged are subject to change.
Minimum English Proficiency Score RequirementsUndergraduate applicants and graduate applicants applying for an undergraduate placement:
- Minimum scores for ETS TOEFL (Internet-based scores): 61
- Minimum scores for IELTS: 5.5
Graduate applicants applying for a graduate placement: Scores may vary. Consult with your home university exchange coordinator.
To determine if a test score is required, refer to the document, "English Language Proficiency Requirements."
Impacted/Closed and Restricted Subject Areas
- Impacted/Closed Subject Areas (which are not available to exchange students): Education (all areas); Nursing (NURS).
- Restricted/Limited Subject Areas (limited places are available and are highly competitive): Currently there are no restricted subject areas.
Impacted and restricted subject areas are subject to change at any time.