Skip to content

Financial Aid

Federal Financial Aid and Study Abroad

Federal financial aid can be used to pay for study abroad costs. In fact, 65% of CSU IP participants use some form of aid to help finance their year abroad. School use the study abroad program cost of attendance as part of the federal financial award calculation. This may result in the student being eligible for additional federal student aid funds.

Whether or not you have ever received financial aid, you should investigate this possibility if you need additional resources to study abroad. If possible, make arrangements before you leave to have any extra aid or loan money automatically deposited into an account from which you can make withdrawals while you are overseas.

How Do I Apply for Financial Aid?
Visit the Financial Aid office on your campus. Only your home campus can tell you how much aid you will get and how and when your aid will be disbursed. All financial aid, with the exception of work-study, can be used to pay for your CSU IP program costs.


Financial Aid Resources

Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
File applications and all required materials as soon as possible during the filing period (usually January 1 for the following academic year) and well before the deadlines indicated by the campus (usually in early spring). Because campuses have limited funds, students who file early have the best chance of receiving awards. 
To find out if you are eligible for Federal Financial Aid click here for more details

California Student Aid Commission
The California Student Aid Commission is committed to making education beyond high school accessible. To learn about all Cal Grants and other forms of financial aid click here for more details.

The Smart Student Guide to Financial Aid
Click here and type "study abroad" in the search box.