How to Apply
Interested international students who are pursuing degrees at one of our partner institutions are advised to contact the exchange coordinator at their home university about the possibility of participating in the CSU IP exchange. Participation can depend on various factors including the number of exchange places available at the CSU. (Click here to view the CSU Exchange Partner Institutions.) If places are available, then the exchange coordinator facilitates the selection process and nominates students for the CSU Systemwide Student Exchange Program.
Intakes: Most exchange applicants apply for our Fall intake and begin their exchange at the CSU in August or September. This means that students should approach their exchange coordinator about participating in exchange at least one year prior. Some students may be able to apply for our January intake although this option is not available to all students since January intakes are open to partners by prior agreement. Interested students should consult with their exchange coordinator.
Selecting CSU Campuses: Nominated applicants are asked to list up to four CSU campus choices on the CSU Systemwide Student Exchange Application. Applicants must realize that they are applying to the CSU system and can be placed at any one of our campuses based on available places at a campus, academic match and other factors. Applicants must be prepared to attend any of the campuses listed on their applications since their top choice(s) may not be available. Some campuses are very competitive so it is important for students to be flexible with both campus choice and subject selection.The CSU International Programs will have the sole discretion in selecting an appropriate campus for each student. To select campuses for exchange, students should explore the many campuses available to them. To search campuses that offer a specific subject area of interest, use the search engine on the website, http://degrees.calstate.edu/. Students must then refer to the most recent CSU Campus and Course Selection Guidelines to find out if the campus is restricted in any way as a guide if the Guidelines are not yet available for the next intake. Also visit the webpage, "CSU Campuses at a Glance" which contains comparative campus information and quick links to the Campus Profile webpages by geographical location.
The Application Process: Nominated students will be required to submit the following documents as a part of the CSU application:
- CSU Systemwide Student Exchange Application (found here).
- English proficiency test score not more than two years old at the time of the CSU application deadline date, if applicable. (Review the English Language Proficiency Requirements here.) The host CSU campus may request original test results.
- A photocopy of the student’s passport showing the student’s photo, full legal name and place of birth.
- A one page "Personal Statement" which lists reasons why students have selected the campuses on their application, in their own words.
- Transcripts from all post-secondary institutions and universities attended. The host CSU campus may request original, official transcripts.
- Declaration of Financial Support Form and financial documents that verify that funds are available to support the student while on exchange. Financial documents are provided directly to the campus after a student has been placed at a campus.
From the time a student expresses interest in this exchange until the student is placed at the CSU campuses, students should be in contact with their exchange coordinators at their home institution/exchange partner. Once a student has been placed and has been contacted by the host CSU campus, the campus and student are in direct contact.