|Program Sponsor:||CSU International Programs|
|Restrictions:||CSU System applicants only|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|GPA Requirement:||3.0 (If you do not meet the GPA requirement, contact CSU IP as you still may be eligible to apply)||Class Standing:||Junior, Senior|
|Language of Instruction:||English||Language Prerequisite:||None|
|Areas of Study:||Biology, Business, History, Literature, Philosophy, Political Science, Theatre Arts/Drama||Special Notes:||Dependents not permitted|
CSU IP United Kingdom: Hull
February 1: Priority Deadline
March 1: Secondary Deadline
April 1: Late Applicant Deadline
Program At A Glance
When: Mid-September to mid-June
Units: Students are required to take the equivalent of 15 CSU units per semester
Cost: Students pay the same tuition for CSU IP UK as the tuition paid for their home CSU campus. For more information on costs, including accommodations, travel and other expenses, see the Budget Sheet.
Eligibility Requirements: Minimum 3.0 GPA; Students must be enrolled at a CSU campus no later than spring term prior to departure, or eligible to enter from a community college by fall term of the program start date.
Areas of Study and Course Prerequisites:
- Biology: One year Biology with laboratory; one year Chemistry with laboratory; one year Physics with laboratory; Calculus; Statistics; English composition. Additional recommended coursework: Upper-division Biology and Chemistry.
- Business: Microeconomics; Macroeconomics; Financial Accounting; Managerial Accounting; Calculus or Business Calculus; Statistics; English composition.
- Drama: Fundamentals of Acting; Scenography/Stagecraft; History of Theatre; Script Analysis; English composition. Additional recommended coursework: Dance.
- History: World Civilizations to the 16th Century; World Civilizations since the 16th Century; US History to 1877; US History since 1877; English composition. Additional recommended coursework: Modern Britain studies; Macroeconomics; Microeconomics.
- Literature: Two courses in English Literature; Survey of American Literature; English composition. Additional recommended coursework: Introduction work in Shakespeare; Creative Writing.
- Philosophy: Ancient Philosophy; Modern Philosophy; Formal Logic; English composition. Additional recommended coursework: Upper-division coursework in Philosophy.
- Political Science: Introduction to Political Science; Comparative Politics or International Relations; English composition. Additional recommended coursework: Upper-division coursework in political science, history, economics, or sociology.
The University of Hull is culturally diverse, with students from more than 100 countries around the world, and has been voted as one of the top ten universities for student satisfaction in the UK. The International Office runs a series of welcome events to help you settle into life at the University of Hull, combining vital talks, tours, and social activities which help you feel more at home, while also giving students the chance to meet other new students and learn more about University and the local area.
English universities offer three or four year undergraduate degree programs. The three year program (“course” in British terms) is usually referred to simply as a bachelor’s degree course. Four year degree courses, “honors” degrees, are designed to prepare the student for graduate study.
During the three or four years of study for the undergraduate degree, a British student takes courses (“modules” or “units”) in his or her field of study. “General education,” as it is understood in the United States is not known in the British degree structure. Students are only permitted to enroll in courses/modules in the area of study that the student is selected for, with one elective allowed per term.
For more information about the academic program, students may refer to the IP Academic Bulletin for the previous year. Note that course offerings are subject to change and may not be offered during the year of intended study.
Please note that space may be limited in this program and there are often more applicants than placements available. Students applying to this program should select a second choice program in the UK that also offers their area of study, in the event that they are not selected for participation in their first choice. The alternate program(s) should be noted on the “UK Second Choice Questionnaire” which can be found in the CSU IP application.
The University of Hull is located in the city of Hull, which is in northern England. Hull has a vibrant tradition of arts and culture with several museums of national importance, as well as a strong theatrical tradition. Hull has a diverse range of architecture and this is complemented by parks and squares and a number of statues and modern sculptures. Hull has also been named the 2017 UK City of Culture.
Students arrange their own housing prior to departure using information provided by the host university. More information can be found here.