|Program Sponsor:||CSU International Programs|
|Restrictions:||CSU System applicants only|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|GPA Requirement:||3.0 (If you do not meet the GPA requirement, contact CSU IP as you still may be eligible to apply)||Class Standing:||Junior, Senior|
|Language of Instruction:||English||Language Prerequisite:||None|
|Areas of Study:||Business, Criminal Justice, Engineering, Exercise Science, Hospitality Management, Hospitality, Recreation and Tourism, Kinesiology, Psychology, Sociology|
CSU IP Australia: Victoria University
Program At A Glance
When: Semester 1 (fall) is mid-February to late June; semester 2 (spring) is early July to late November.
Units: Students are required to take the equivalent of 15 CSU units per semester.
Cost: Students pay the same tuition for CSU IP Australia as the tuition paid for their home CSU campus. For more information on costs, including accommodations, travel and other expenses, see the Budget Sheet.
Eligibility Requirements: Minimum 3.0 GPA; Students must be enrolled at a CSU campus no later than fall term prior to departure, or eligible to enter from a community college by spring term of the program start date.
Areas of Study and Course Prerequisites:
- Business: Microeconomics; Macroeconomics; Financial Accounting; Business Calculus; English Composition.
- Criminal Justice: Introduction to Criminal Justice (or a similar introductory criminal justice course); Introduction to Sociology; Statistics; English Composition.
- Engineering: Lower-division major requirements in the appropriate field of engineering should be completed.
- Hospitality & Tourism: Introduction to Hospitality Industry (or any course in hospitality industry); Financial Accounting; Business Statistics. Additional recommended coursework: Sociology; Business Management; Marketing; Sanitation Practices; Managerial Accounting.
- Kinesiology and Exercise Science: Not referred to as "Kinesiology" as it is in the USA, but rather housed in Exercise Science and inclusive of Sport Science (Human Movement). Required course prerequisites: Clinical Practice, Sport Practice, Physical Education and Sport Science, and Biomedical and Exercise Science. Additional recommended coursework: performance coursework (e.g. swimming, cycling, karate, volleyball); Human Anatomy or Human Physiology; Biomechanics; Physics.
- Psychology: Introduction to Psychology; Research Methods; Statistics. Additional recommended coursework: Laboratory science course in biology or chemistry.
- Sociology: 8-9 units of sociology coursework required including Introduction to Sociology (or a similar introductory sociology course); Research Methods; Statistics. Additional recommended coursework: Social Problems, Sociological Analysis, Social Deviance/Deviant Behavior, and Juvenile Justice/Crime.
Victoria University is one of Australia’s largest universities enrolling over 50,000 students, including more than 5,000 international students. VU has 14 campuses in Melbourne, and CSU IP students take courses on the Footscray Park campus. CSU IP students enroll directly in Victoria University, studying alongside Australian students and gaining the experience of being fully integrated into life at VU and in Australia.
Students are required to have a major (or a closely related major) in one of the approved areas of study listed above. Students will need to complete specific major or related courses in order to be prepared for the coursework at VU. Students should consult the VU website for specific courses and keep in mind that not all coursework is available to visiting students and that prerequisites may apply. For more information about the academic programs at VU, students may refer to the Academic Bulletin for the previous year. Note that course offerings are subject to change and may not be offered during the year of intended study.
Please note that the CSU IP program at Victoria University is based on reciprocal exchange; the number of CSU IP participants accepted into the program is dependent on the ability of Victoria University to send students to study in the U.S. Students applying to this program should select a second choice program in Australia (or elsewhere) that also offers their area of study, in the event that they are not selected for participation in their first choice. The alternate program(s) should be noted on the “Second Choice Questionnaire,” which can be found in the CSU IP application.
Victoria University is in Melbourne, the capital and most populous city in the Australian state of Victoria. Melbourne rates highly in education, entertainment, research and development, tourism and sport, making it the world’s most livable city, for the fifth year in a row in 2015. Victoria University has 14 campuses in Melbourne, with CSU IP students taking courses on the largest campus, Footscray Park. The campus is within walking distance to the Footscray train station and is a 10 minute train ride to the Melbourne city center. More information on the Footscray Park campus can be found here.
Students arrange their own housing using information provided Victoria University. Some students secure housing before departure, choosing to live in on-campus residence halls, while others prefer to live off-campus in shared apartments or home stays. More information about on-campus and off-campus accommodations at VU can be found here.