California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
Celebrating over 110 years, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo (Cal Poly San Luis Obispo) is a highly selective, comprehensive polytechnic university, guided by a "Learn by Doing" approach. Located on 6,800 acres on the Central Coast of California, Cal Poly has six colleges, with an emphasis on undergraduate programs.
Strong programs in Agriculture, Engineering and Architecture provide the applied focus to Cal Poly, while excellence in Liberal Arts, Science and Math complete their comprehensive identity. The campus has farm and ranch land, orchards, a 14-acre vineyard, an aero hangar and a state-of-the-art performance arts center and facilities in Architecture, Engineering and Science.
Cal Poly San Luis Obispo operates on a quarter system. One quarter is equivalent to .33 of an academic year. Three quarters are equal to one academic year. To view academic calendar dates, refer to the campus website or the CSU Campus Calendar found on the CSU Overview webpage located here.
Information for Exchange Students
- Location description: Located in a large town (population 25,000-75,000)
- Campus enrollment: Over 20,000 students
- Students who can apply: Degree-seeking students nominated by exchange partners. Students must be undergraduate students or graduate students who are willing to accept an undergraduate placement.
- Length of exchange: Students may apply to study for one quarter or up to three quarters. It is strongly recommended that students study for a minimum of two quarters since one quarter is less than one semester.
- Minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) to apply: 2.00 (based on 4.0 scale) or equivalent.
- Campus health insurance charged to student: Yes. Estimate cost is $450 per quarter. Cost is subject to change.
- Other campus-based fees charged to student: Fees for some courses depending on the course may be charged (e.g. lab fees). Fee amounts and fees charged are subject to change.
Minimum English Proficiency Score Requirements
- Minimum scores for ETS TOEFL (internet-based scores): 80
- Minimum scores for IELTS: 7.0
To determine if a test score is required, refer to the document, “English Language Proficiency Requirements."
Impacted/Closed and Restricted Subject Areas
- Impacted/Closed Subject Areas (which are not available to exchange students): Animal Science (ASCI); Agribusiness (AGB); Education (EDUC); Music (MUS).
- Restricted/Limited Subject Areas (limited places are available and are highly competitive): Aerospace Engineering (AERO); Architecture (ARCH); Art & Design (ART); Business (BUS); Civil and Environmental Engineering (CE); Communication Studies (COMS); Computer Engineering (CPE); Computer Science (CSC); Economics (ECON); Graphic Communications (GRC); Journalism (JOUR); Mechanical Engineering (ME); Psychology (PSY); Wine and Viticulture (WVIT).
Impacted and restricted subject areas are subject to change at any time.