San Francisco State University
Founded in 1899, San Francisco State University (SF State) is committed to preparing students for international positions in the global marketplace of commerce and ideas. Located in the world-class City of San Francisco, it offers degrees in over 200 academic majors. The campus is located within easy reach of public transportation that connects it with all parts of the city and surrounding areas.
SF State’s College of Business is the largest college at the university. The College of Science & Engineering operates three field stations on the San Francisco Bay and coast and works closely with the Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park and the San Francisco Zoo. The College of Liberal & Creative Arts comprises 25 departments and prides itself for having produced Academy Award winners, best-selling authors and internationally acclaimed artists and musicians. The College of Health & Social Sciences serves the present and future needs of society in the professional fields associated with health, human and community services. SF State has the only College of Ethnic Studies in the United States.
San Francisco State operates on a semester system. One semester is equivalent to .50 of an academic year. Two semesters are equal to one academic year. To view academic calendar dates, refer to the campus website or the CSU Campus Calendar found on the CSU Overview webpage located here.
Information for Exchange Students
- Location description: Located in Northern California in or near a major city (population 300,000 or more)
- Campus enrollment: Over 29,000 students
- Students who can apply: Degree-seeking students nominated by exchange partners. Students must be undergraduate students or graduate students who are willing to accept an undergraduate placement. Graduate student placements are not available at this campus.
- Length of exchange: Students may study for one or two semesters.
- Minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) to apply: 2.00 (based on 4.0 scale) or equivalent.
- Campus health insurance charged to student: Yes. Estimate cost is $725 per semester. Cost is subject to change.
- Other campus-based fees charged to student: Fees for some courses depending on the course may be charged (e.g. lab fees). Fee amounts and fees charged are subject to change.
Minimum English Proficiency Score Requirements
- ETS TOEFL (Internet-based scores): 61
- IELTS: 6.0
To determine if a test score is required, refer to the document, “English Language Proficiency Requirements.”
Impacted/Closed and Restricted Subject Areas
- Impacted/Closed Subject Areas (which are not available to exchange students): Apparel/Fashion Design and Merchandising (ADM); Broadcast & Electronic Communication Arts (BECA); Business Management (MGMT); Cinema (CINE); Creative Writing (CW); Design and Industry (DAI); Dietetics and Food Management (DFM); Education (all areas); Health Education (HED); Interior Design (ID); Journalism (JOUR); Nursing (NURS); Social Work (SW); Studio Art (ART).
- Restricted/Limited Subject Areas (limited places are available and are highly competitive): Business (ACCT, FIN, IBUS, ISYS, MKTG, HTM); Chemistry (CHEM); Kinesiology (KIN): Music (MUS); Psychology (PSY).
Impacted and restricted subject areas are subject to change at any time.